Thursday, May 29, 2008

I Have SUCH a Guilt Complex

I thought that handing in my resignation letter would be the hardest part about leaving my job.
 
But I was wrong.  Oh so wrong.
 
The absolute worst part of quitting is that, for the next three weeks, I will have to endure looks from the people who like me.  Normally they would just look at me and smile, but by indicating a small amount of delight--yea, even a hint of glee--that my days here are numbered, I have betrayed them.
 
At least, that is the feeling I get from them when they gave me the look.  You know the one--the "You killed my puppy" look.  The deep sadness mingling with absolute betrayal that makes the look-ee feel like their insides should rot and they should just disintegrate on the spot.
 
Some of these people who like me--well, to be frank, I never got as attached.  But some of them.  Well, getting that look from them makes me want to hide under my desk for the next three weeks.

3 comments:

Schmetterling said...

See? Toldja there'd be "You killed my puppy" looks.

(Okay, okay, okay, I admit it: I cheated. You caught me.)

Th. said...

.

I'm glad you're quitting. But where are you going?

Katie said...

Somewhere closer to the apartment. Hopefully working part-time up at the school since that would be handy and convenient, or else doing part-time writing work downtown.

My fingers are crossed. I've been applying. But I'm financially secure enough I don't absolutely need a new job until school starts in August.