Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Learning New Things

I have discovered something new, and I blame many MANY people for it.  You know who you are.
 
It's called Peircean semiotics and it involves lots of triangles.  And colors.  And personality traits associated with those colors.  I've been reading about it, non-stop, for the last two weeks.  (Well, non-stop as much as I possibly could; believe it or not, I'm sometimes actually required to do work at my job.  Odd, I know, but not entirely abnormal from what I hear)
 
And herein you shall find my lament: I'm struggling with a subject I find fascinating.  The theory.  Oh, I understand the theory.  I'm just having decided difficulties when it comes to putting the theory into practice.  Second-guessing myself.  It's a sad, sad thing.  And I know there's only one cure.  I need to find something I know, inside and out, to apply it to. 
 
And then ask above people I'm blaming for this interest if I'm smoking something and I've missed the point all together.
 
Drat my darned pride.  I so want this to be right, but deep breath and . . .
 
. . . maybe later.

3 comments:

Th. said...

.

My solution was to avoid triangles altogether.

Katie said...

It was too interesting to me not to learn. Besides, even though I may not yet have a perfect understanding, I always like a challenge . . .

Katya said...

th. - Yeah, I can't see triangles being of much use to a yellow post-modernist. (What, categories? Structure? Never! ;) )

confuzzled - Hopefully we can get Eotena back on BB at some point to explain things better. I think you're doing fine, it's just nice to have more of an expert to explain stuff.