Friday, January 4, 2008

Confessions and Their Matching Resolutions

Confession #1: When I was thirteen, I wanted to see Titanic oh-so-badly. And why, pray tell, did I want to see this movie? Not because every girl in junior high ranted and raved about it. Not because I had a thing for Leonardo DiCaprio. I wanted to see it because I felt tingles every time I watched the music video for "My Heart Will Go On." I thought Celine Dion was speaking to my soul and the movie would too. Good thing my musical taste improved with age.

Resolution #1: Do not voluntarily listen to any Celine Dion music. Ever. Hey, I figure I should give myself at least one resolution that would be a cinch to keep.

Confession #2: Every year since I can remember, I've made a goal related to writing or publishing. Sometimes both. I've never met these goals because I'm a big fat scaredy-cat. I fret about things being bad; silly soul that I am, I tend to forget bad things can always be re-worked.

Resolution #2: Follow through with writing/publish resolutions. And stop being such a ninny.

Confession #3: Last year, I thought hard about giving up chocolate and I even tried it for a while (giving it up, that is--not trying eat it), because if I eat too much of it, it causes me massive amounts of head pain. I failed miserably at the giving it up idea. In fact, I may have induced at least one headache because I'd repressed the chocolate urge for so long I couldn't help but binge. I know. I have no will power.

Resolution #3: Moderation in all things is a true principle. At least, I'm pretty sure it is. So I resolve to eat less chocolate this year than I did last year. Because I know what will happen if I resolve not to eat it at all. Bad, bad things (*shudder*).

Confession #4: I don't remember the last time I saw the dentist. That's saying something, especially since I have a rather good memory. I can remember all sorts of things from my freshman year of college, but I can't remember the last time I saw the dentist. This could be a) because it's been a while or b) because I hate dentists and am purposefully suppressing. I can tell you this much: in a couple of weeks, I'll have been employed in my current position for one year. I've not seen a dentist since I started work here. In fact, I'm pretty sure the last time I saw a dentist, I was a junior in college. Somewhere in there. That makes it 2 or 3 years.

Resolution #4: I will go to a dentist this year while I still have insurance. Some time soon, since one of my teeth has been killing me. (Not literally, of course, I don't mean that it's got a gun and a vendetta. It just hurts. A lot)

Confession #5: I update my blog more often than I e-mail my brother on a mission. Something about writing to a general audience, getting feedback, feeling online-ishly published, getting fun comments from people I've never met in person (but most of whom I'd like to meet in person someday) . . .

Resolution #5: I will send my brother e-mails. By copying and pasting some of the more pertinent blog entries. And modifiying the tenses to make it more personal.

Confession #6: My room gets so messy that I have dreams about my roommate dying of clutter when coming in to find a book or DVD.

Resolution #6: I will keep my room tidier. Or at least clear a path to the bookshelves.

Confession #7: There is exactly one person at work that I can't seem to get along with. Ever. Possibly because I took her job and do it better than her. Also possibly because she has all of the personality all of a brick wall. Or perhaps because people like me and are rather vocal about it.

Resolution #7: Stop gloating. And stop letting others gloat on my behalf.

Seven seems like a good number. A lucky one, even. So and seven confessions just seems like a good number.

Also, I don't want to tell you too much :)

4 comments:

Thirdmango said...

I have a phobia of dentistry so that's why I haven't been, i also need to keep my room clean or at least keep a path for people to walk.

Xan said...

Okay, I haven't been to a dentist in a year. So by the end of this month, I think both of us should go to the dentist. Maybe even plan the same day and then we can feel happy knowing someone else is suffering too. :)

And maybe 3M, you, and I need to form a Messy Room Anonymous group and start having group sessions....I'm fairly OCD, but my room is my one place I'm allowed to be messy...until the OCD takes over...

Katie said...

Ooh, ooh! We could totally abbreviate it MRA. Then I could totally drop it in conversation and act all offended when people thought I said NRA. Plus it will have the added bonus of completely confusing people who know how I feel about guns!

And thanks to both of you for making me feel better about the dentist. Nalton--solidarity sister! Although I think we'll also both need to do something after the suffering to reward ourselves ;)

Xan said...

Definitely need to do something to reward ourselves for our diligence in dental hygiene. :)