Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Decisions, Decisions

Tired of reading about my close encounters of the writing kind?  Well, if you are, then I won't be sad if you proceed to elsewhere on the Internet.  Okay, that's a lie.  I'll be a little bit sad about you proceeding to elsewhere on the Internet, but I'll get over it relatively quickly and I probably won't see it happening so I won't even be able to experience my brief moment of sadness real-time.

Something that occurred to me today when I got home and decided to do many things, none of which were working on my novel (because I did that a little at lunch before I got distracted by, you know, real people): I actually have to make a choice to write this thing.

I can come home, for example, and tidy up my room a little bit and dance around to whatever plays on my iTunes and maybe watch an episode of a TV show and find ways to generally fill time without writing this thing.

That's not to say that I'm quitting by any means, but I just had this sudden epiphany that I made an initial decision, but I have to keep making that decision again and again as the days march on.  I didn't make it once and poof! a novel appeared.

I think Nanowrimo has taught me a life lesson here.

Well played, Nanowrimo.  Well played.

No comments: