Saturday, February 14, 2009

And Now I Remember . . .

. . . why I try to avoid any type of retail setting on Valentine's Day. But unfortunately, today's visit to the store was unavoidable. Well, not completely unavoidable, but since I forgot to pick up toilet paper from the store yesterday . . . yeah. Like I said, unavoidable.

Anyway, as if it wasn't bad enough to wait for the Trax train while trying quite hard to ignore the couple making out while they waited for their train, the store itself was ghastly.

Periodic announcements about the very-on-sale "intimate apparel" upstairs. Flower arranging! Right next to the Starbucks! Luscious chocolate-dipped strawberries. Candy, candy, candy--on sale for all you slackers. (But really--of course it's the ridiculously cheap and marginally grotesque candy because all of the smart people buy the good stuff before Valentine's Day.)

These announcements, I swear, are repeated on a two minute loop. By someone with the most ridiculously perky voice in the world.

And don't even get me started on the balloons . . .

Yes, I'm cranky. And not because I'm single, either. Because I think all of the perkiness and all of the hoopla and all of this ooey-gooey crap is aggravating to being with, and it only becomes more obnoxious when repeating on some kind of infinite loop.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Heh... yeah, no kidding...

"Happy unianginative, consumerist-oriented and entirely arbitrary, manipulative and shallow interpretation of romance day."

Schmetterling said...

"...and shallow interpretation of romance day. Remember, love is measured in dollars, not sense!"

Schmetterling said...

...erm...

That was actually a typo. A very appropriate typo, but I'm not quite that creative: I meant to type cents.

It's sad thing when one's fingers are more intelligent than one's brain....