Tuesday, September 30, 2008

More Leaps of Faith

When I started my program at the end of August, I had full confidence in my ability to work full-time and attend school full-time.

Pride, my friends, cometh before the fall.

(Yes, Caroline. You were right. I tried to do too much. Please refrain from gloating.)

When the Relief Society presidency of our new ward came to visit my roommates and me on Sunday, they asked what we all did. One of my roommates, after I mentioned my insanely busy schedule, said: "Yep. She works full-time and goes to school full-time. She's Superwoman!"

It's a phrase she has repeated to various new acquaintances, and I cringe every time she says it. Because I'm not. I've been sleep-deprived, apathetic, and unable to shine at my homework assignments in all the ways I've wanted. I've stayed up late to finish papers, awakened early to make sure I had all of my reading done, and spent some of my time in class fiercely battling sleep.

My migraines have proliferated. I've been fighting off colds and the flu far earlier in the semester than I should have to . . . And I knew all along that if anything would fall by the wayside, it would be working full-time.

I handed in my notice today, and both of my bosses took it surprisingly well. (I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop . . .)

But now I find myself in a familiar employment situation: I need part-time work. I don't have anything lined up yet. But I have faith something will come up. Especially since I know this is what I need to do.

Just as the situation is familiar, so is this immense feeling of relief . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you made the right decision. If your schedule is starting to affect your health, then something has to give. Keep the faith girl and keep your chin up! Les :)

Jenny said...

O.o; Yikes... Yeah, that sounds like a rather busy schedule... I'm amazed you survived as long as you did. I've always wondered how people do both full-time work and full-time school...

I wish you luck on the new job search. ^.^; I hope it doesn't take too long!

CJ said...

I am not going to gloat. I will second Fei-chan in saying, really I am very surprised you have lasted this long. I hear mid-terms are coming up. Has this been the straw? We should get together sometime, but if you ahve been reading I have been going through my own personal graduate school hell and until that is totally fixed, I can't do anything!

Annie said...

You know, maybe superman was sleep-deprived, apathetic, and unable to shine at his work. I mean, he was constantly running off to save the world. But he didn't have faith to fall back on. This, I hope, helps your health and sanity. Good luck with everything! If you need help with anything, let me know!