Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Random: An In-Class Interaction between Student and Professor that Made My Whole Yesterday

We were discussing the Rhetorica Ad Herennium, and how it says a person involved in a debate (or really, in a speech of any kind) should order their points--if the points are strong, stronger, strongest, the speaker should order them strongest, strong, stronger.

There's a lady in that class who's probably in her fifties or so, and she annoys me. (Which might be why I found this so humorous) And just to be clear: she doesn't annoy me because she's in her fifties. It's her personality that annoys me. I can't even put an exact finger on why, but her personality in someone the age of twenty would bug me just as much.

Anyway, yesterday, she talked about how many years ago she worked with kids with autism.

"We always wanted to give them choices," she said, "but we always wanted them to choose what we wanted them to choose. So we'd always offer our choice as the second choice, and that was the choice they usually took. Do you think it relates."

"Did anyone ever tell you that you were going to hell for that?" The professor asked. "Did they mention the word 'manipulation' at all?"

3 comments:

Schmetterling said...

Hahahaha. That's awesome.

Seriously, though--who manipulates autistic kids?

Xan said...

1 point professor. 0 points crazy lady. :)

Annie said...

That's absolutely hilarious! People like that drive me up the wall. But as for what your professor said...it was perfect! :D