Thursday, September 11, 2008

Why I Love My Critical Theory Class

I won't lie: graduate school did, at first, overwhelm me. But as time goes on, I find myself able to settle into a rhythm (albeit an ever-shifting one) balancing school, work, and a sort-of social life. (Give me some credit! I took time to go to a rodeo last weekend!)

As I had suspected, though, it was only a matter of time before I found myself getting acclimated. Before I readjusted to how school life works. Granted, this time around I'm juggling a more demanding job, but I'm back into school mode and it feels good.

Anyway, while I enjoy my Narrative Theory class and I find my Composition Theory class intriguing and frustrating in turns, I adore my Critical Theory class. And it isn't because I particularly adore critical theory.

I love the way this particular professor teaches it.

As I discussed with a couple of fellow students on Monday: when I was taught these theories as an undergraduate student, the professors had the tendency to treat each individual theorist as God. (I'm sorry if you find this blasphemous, but I just can't think of a better way to put it.) They were the Ultimate Experts on their theories, and we should not question them. Because they were brilliant! That's why we learned their theories!

(This by the way, is the line of reasoning people followed. Just to clarify. I didn't particularly subscribe to this line of reasoning.)

Any questions about problems inherent to the theories were quickly disposed in whatever way the professor chose, and class continued on back then. As I said, questioning wasn't an option. Unless you were questioning the methods of applying the theories--and even that, sometimes, was kind of a gray zone.

This professor encourages the questioning. Asks us to reason our way through the arguments if we can . . . and then proceeds to tell us why the argument is faulty. Or not faulty. But usually, why the argument is faulty.

My roommate, I can tell you, still exists in the theorist-as-God paradigm, because last week when I declared Plato to be nuts, she told me: "You can't do that. He's Plato." That's right. He's Plato. He's not God. Just because some people thought his ideas were good or important does not mean I can't question those same ideas.

You can imagine how validated I felt when I went to class the next day, and our professor declared Plato to be completely insane. So far: Plato is starking raving mad, Saussure had kinda a good idea, Aristotle sort of got it . . . but sort of didn't. Right now, we're discussing Descartes. Who is also bonkers.

When it comes to learning, I have always been a questioner. That is one of my fundamental ways of learning. I have sometimes questioned the basic premises of theorists (which some professors found interesting and some found annoying) when I didn't understand how they arrived at their basic premise.

I don't care what anyone says, it's very rare for a basic premise to just exist (voila! basic premise! like magic!) in its own natural right and be so intuitive that it can be proven. I'm sure some of you might be itching to disagree with this statement. Disagree away.

I thrive on disagreement. That's why I like this particular class.

10 comments:

Schmetterling said...

"I thrive on disagreement."

No you don't.

Jenny said...

Heh... I've had teachers where it felt like they thought their subject or the subject of the day was "God" as you put it... Not to be questioned. >.O Icky...

I admire you being a questioner. ^.^ I've always been one of those who just sorta accepts it... I don't question things often. I need to more...

Katie said...

Schmett--

Do too. (Else, why would we comment on each other's blogs? ;))

Schmetterling said...

Just helping you thrive =)

So you like disagreement, eh? Have you seen this Monty Python sketch perchance? It's part of a longer sketch (full version here), but only that one part is really relevant, though it's all funny.

Enjoy!

Katie said...

On the bright side, our arguments aren't always a string of "do not"s and "do too"s . . .

Schmetterling said...

Thank heaven!

Th. said...

.

Hey---I was just looking for that sketch on my DVDs. You don't happen to know which episode it's part of, do you?

And, for the record, I love calling legendary intellects numbskulls. Who wouldn't?

Jenny said...

Lol! That's a funny skit! >.<
And brings up some interesting points about arguing... Hm...

Major Bubbles said...

Out of curiousity, do you accept all of your professor's views on the state of sanity of each of the theories you examine?

Cause wouldn't that be the same as accepting the masters (as I believe they are refered to, even if one doesn't agree-it is kind of a god-like rhetoric) all the time?

Go ahead, thrive away.

Oh, and I'm not responsible for my spelling. :D

Katie said...

Th.-- Even legendary intellects have numbskull-ish ideas. And when I was citing that Plato was nuts, I was doing so on the basis of what I had to read. Read about his model of "ideal communication" and you'll agree with me--that particular idea wasn't his brightest.

Major B--No, I don't subscribe to all of my professor's views about the theorists. Do give me some credit, please.