Thursday, September 18, 2008

Confuzzled's Quirkiness

I'm doing this because, well, Annie tagged me.

Lest you think I'm some sort of lemming (and if you think I'm some sort of lemming, you obviously don't know me well at all), I found the idea intriguing. I'm not going to tag anyone, because I get far more enjoyment about telling you how I'm quirky. But if you see this and have the urge to follow suit, consider yourself tagged.

And anyway, I'm just a quirky person. So here are six quirks of mine:

1. I think chips and guacamole are one of the ultimate brain foods. If I feel hungry but I know I need to keep studying, I'll smash up a couple of avocados and add some magically miraculous seasoning packet . . . and proceed to eat all of the guacamole while I study.

2. If you've ever seen my bookshelves up close and personal, you already know this. (And if you're Steve, then you've probably exploited this small instance of OCD to drive me crazy. Even though I tried not to be driven crazy . . .) But my books are very specifically arranged from shortest to tallest. (Major B, as I recall, called this a crime because I separated "book families." Not all of the Card is adjacent, nor is all of the Rowling. Nor is all of the Tolkien, for that matter.)

3. Sometimes, when I'm in church and having difficulties paying attention, I make snarky or sarcastic (or snarkastic!) comments. Like the day in one of my old wards when the Sunday School teacher was talking about the story of Rebekah at the well. He asked, "What do we learn from this?" I muttered to my friend: "That to find a husband we should go hang out by the drinking fountain?"

4. Cleaning things is my primary form of procrastination. And at the beginning of this school year, I vowed I would keep my room clean so that I would not be able to engage in this particular form of procrastination. That hasn't worked out so well for me. Right now, I cannot see my bedroom floor.

5. Spending a couple of years in marching band has permanently affected me. Now, whenever I hear music, I find myself automatically adjusting my pace to walk to the beat.

6. In my entire lifetime, I can only think of two times I've walked out of a bookstore empty-handed. It seems like a betrayal to so many good books to not buy them. Also: I like to smell books.

I definitely have more quirks than that, but I'm not going to tell you what they are. Those are for me to know and you to (maybe) find out.

7 comments:

Xan said...

2 Things:

1. I smell books too.
2. I will have one of those Gilmore Girls conversations with you any day. :)

That's it.(though, I share other quirks with you...)

Schmetterling said...

Haha. Snarkastic. That's awesome.

The marching band thing--yeah, that's a curse. Whenever I hear music, I make a conscious effort to walk out of rhythm, but that's taxing sometimes, and I usually have more exciting things to occupy my brain with, so I invariably find myself falling into step.

Stupid marching band, making us all a bunch of sheeple...

Jenny said...

Ohohoh!! I like the smell of books too! ^.^ Especially old ones. Some of the new ones smell like plastic... Ick...
And yeah, my books are pretty strictly organized. Although mine go by author, then size.
And yes... walking out of a book store empty-handed is a sad thing... *tear*

It's funny you should mention the "drinking fountain" thing. ^.^ My institute director said that.

Katie said...

nalton--Now we know what kind of conversation we'll have after the play :)

schmet--It makes me feel better that someone has to think that hard about not walking to the beat.

fei-chan--I haven't noticed a plastic smell. Perhaps you're smelling the wrong books?

Also, your Institute director must be funny ;)

Janel said...

To that marching band thing, I submit this:

http://xkcd.com/389/

Seeing as I've never been in marching band, I don't have this problem. But I do tend to join in singing... curse you choir.

Annie said...

Thank you for taking the time to list some of your quirks. I tagged you because I knew they'd be highly entertaining.

I feel the same about walking out of a bookstore without a purchase. There's just too many books I want to own/read and yet so little money. To add to the rest of the comments, I've never been in marching band and I walk to the beat all the time too. So with Janel I say, Curse you, choir (and piano)!

Jenny said...

Well, only certain books do it... Some art books definately smell like plastic to me... >.O Yuck... Most don't though.

Yes, he's quite funny. ^.^ He's awesome.

(laughs at people in choir and band) ;P