Wednesday, October 8, 2008

On Growing Up

"Being a grown-up isn't fun anymore." --A friend who shall remain anonymous, in recent conversation

"We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop?" --Meredith Grey

I have recently discovered many of the people in my acquaintance have glorified adulthood. They have attributed some sort of magical, mystical power to act of growing up and moving past college into their career fields.

Graduating, entering the "adult" realm, and forging our own paths: all of these things seem far away while we're in the course of obtaining our college education. All of these things also seem to imply a certain amount of freedom, as well.

And it isn't that growing up doesn't come without freedom. Freedom does come--as part of a package. I think so many of my friends have found themselves disenchanted with post-school life because they weren't cognizant that freedom came as part of a package deal.

Once freedom is in place--and by freedom, I mean independence from things such as parents, school, and their matching obligations--a new set of obligations comes into play. Work. Rent. Food. Balance.

In short, we trade one set of priorities for another and one system of rules and obligations for a new system. (To a friend--not the above-mentioned--who recently whined about her inability to find a job that allowed her to be completely free, I felt required to respond: Seriously? No, seriously?!)

Funny, but we tend to glorify this idea of we are on our own while experiencing a mental disconnect that does not allow us to evaluate all of the ramifications of we are on our own. We are on our own to structure our time, to decide our hobbies, to find our jobs, to do consistently good work at our jobs, to pay our taxes, to pay our rent, to make our meals, to buy our meals, to buy our groceries . . .

We have support systems, sure. My two roommates make sure I don't live in a vacuum. But ultimately, all of our responsibilities lie with us. We have achieved the great dream: reaching a point in our lives where nobody is dictating to us what we do. But we forget this comes with the obligation to act as our own dictator.

In short, since when has being a grown-up been fun?

Like everything, it has its fun moments. But fun has never been the essence of growing up, and I have to wonder where on earth we get this idea. (I'm leaning toward the media. Thus the Grey's quote . . . but I don't know that the media are the definitive answer to this particular question of origin)

I never looked at my parents and thought, "Hey, they're grown-ups. And they're having fun!" But I do remember thinking my parents had quite the number of duties and obligations.

As a child, the only reason I ever wanted to be grown-up was for the power. It seemed to come with a lot of power. But other than that, my child-like mind held onto the never-grow-up, Peter Pan ideal.

Because I thought growing up would stink.

It hasn't stunk. But it sure hasn't been magical or mystical either.

Thoughts? (Please.)

13 comments:

Th. said...

.

Welcome to the real world, sweetheart.

Th. said...

.

:)

Annie said...

Amen, th. Amen.

Katie said...

Oh, I've been more than cognizant of everything I've written about for a while.

I'm just curious: where do you think all of these "it's so magical to grow up" ideas come from??

I've been in the real world for a while now, thank you very much. (That friend-who-shall-remain-anonymous wasn't code for "me," she's a good friend from high school who has discovered teaching kindergarten and living on her own isn't one big party . . .)

So really: why do you think we have this idea in our heads??

Annie said...

By the way, I didn't mean to sound belittling. From your blogs, it's obvious that you've been in the real world for quite a while. I think, for some people though, it's the mind set that "the grass is always greener". There's a view that "things will be better later" rather than "things are good now" (like Pres Monson's talk). I've known many individuals who constantly say, "It will be better when I'm out of school, or when I move out, or when I get married".

In fact, I would almost say it's ingrained in our society. People can't be happy with what they have now. Things always have to be bigger, better, and those things will always happen later.

I remember thinking life seemed easier for adults because they had more experience. But in actuality (like you said), it's not any easier, just different. I think it's also the fact that we look at adults and see that they don't have to do homework, take tests, deal with stupid teachers, etc. We think life would be easier without those "trials". When (as you also said) we have jobs, housework, bills, cooking, yardwork, dating, marriage, children, etc.

So to answer your question (after basically writing a blog of my own), I think we learn by example. We see people constantly saying that things will get easier later when that's not necessarily true. It's societies answer to everything.

Schmetterling said...

This is the part where I speak of things far outside my personal experience and hope that someone more credentialed than I (th-ahem!) will condescend to tell me I ain't crazy.

BUT--before I hop totally out of my experience, I ought to further discredit myself by pointing out that I've successfully given up the greener-on-the-other-side mentality and find myself, for the most part, quite content with whatever phase of life I'm going through (currently: College Single Life).

Now out of my realm of experience:

I want to quibble a bit on your usage of "free" and "freedom" &c. I think that there is a un-over-estimable difference between independence and freedom; I don't equate the two at all. In fact, I think total independence would be a horrible, lonely, depressing, unnatural state to be in.

This past week, as I was rotting in bed with a salmonella infection, it occurred to me that my independent state really has very few redeeming qualities--and I'm not even totally independent! I feel pretty confident that if my way-awesome roommates hadn't taken me to the ER Tuesday night and if my way-awesome married friend hadn't kept me stocked with hydrational necessities and if my way-awesome aunt and uncle hadn't cooked up a way-awesome batch of chicken soup, I probably would have died. Still, even with so many friends helping whenever they were available, it occurred to me just how aloof I am--no immediate family, nobody depending on me--let's face it: when I move on, there's a distinct possibility I won't keep in contact with said roommates or said married friend, and my bond with my extended family (eg said aunt and uncle) has always been vague and distant.

What I'm getting at here is true independence will never work: it won't make you happy--heck, it won't even keep you alive. We homo sapiens are social animals: we don't do well on our own, no matter how reclusive our natures. Interdependence ought to be our ultimate goal.

Not that I'm one of those hopeless romantics who believes life will be butterflies and skittles after I get married, but I think living's gotta be a bit more worthwhile when you're reliant upon someone who relies on you.

Cristina said...

I haven't really minded being an adult thus far in my life. I feel like my parents prepped me pretty well on being able to expect to pay rent and utilities, etc. It'll probably hit me more once we have children. I think I have learned how to "bloom where I'm planted," and have fun within the parameters of being an adult.

I always looked forward to being an adult so that I could have adult conversations without adults looking at me funny. So that's nice. :)

Jenny said...

I think people keep looking for the point where they have "arrived."

When we're young we look at adults and think "Ooo! When I'm big life'll be great! I will have arrived!" ... Then you get there, and keep waiting for the light from the sky to shine down on you from the heavens in the glorious manifestation of your "arrived-ness."

Th. said...

.

Human beings are perpetually dissatisfied. But if we weren't, we would never grow and improve. So being dissatisfied is a necessary element of happiness. So happiness can never be complete.

Great system!

Jenny said...

That's a rather... synical way of looking at it Th...

Th. said...

.

It can be motivating or diheartening --- our choice.

Major Bubbles said...

While I see th. has a point, I'd be inclined to disagree. Partly because I know a lot of people who don't have (or didn't have) the idea that once you became an adult everything was a lot of fun. I think you're right (to Ms. C) about media playing a part, but I think even older siblings can play a big part. All of my older siblings started worrying once they got older, which means I saw that, and honestly it didn't look like they were partying all the time. Of course, you may also say that one's disposition may lead you to realise that life's not how we sometimes paint it.
But isn't life how we paint it, in the end? What if we all just fool ourselves into thinking that things aren't what we imagined they would be? I mean, I honestly thought I would see a dragon when I was a child. I'm not sure I've seen one flying yet, but I've seen some that were pretty close to dragons walking around.
And I'm pretty sure my cat can talk to me, and that I understand it. Of course, I may just be talking about a different sort of fun, and magic.
And, to completely make this a poorly written comment, Divine Discontent might be a good thing.

Jenny said...

"But isn't life how we paint it, in the end?"
Ohohoh!! I like that! *steals it for a blog post she's been mulling over* ^.^