Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Privileges . . .

Writers, I have realized, have their own set of privileges. When we write, we get to frame the world. Show it to others from our perspective. Indoctrinate them into our ways of thinking (sometimes, anyway--mwahaha). We get to shape reality for ourselves--and, to a certain extent--for whomever else reads what we write.

Sort of daunting to think about, isn't it?

What I tend to forget, though, is that readers also have their own set of privileges. We do not have to accept the reality proffered by everything we read and consume. (And thank heaven, for that, I say!) We get to choose what we believe. We get to see what we want to in writing and ignore what we don't want to see.

(And trust me, as an English major, I can think of a number of realities and ideas I've rejected. Because I disagree. And it's my prerogative to do so.)

This is my way of saying that I like all of you who comment on my blog. Sometimes--but only sometimes--I need someone to question my reality.

3 comments:

Major Bubbles said...

What is reality? Are you sure you've ever really experienced it?

Schmetterling said...

And how can you be sure that you need somebody to question it?

Jenny said...

^.^ That's the thing I love about being creative... You can show the people how you see the world. ^.^ And then you get to peek through someone else's eyes to see their vision. I've always loved that.

On reality?...I think reality is different for every person. For someone to say that someone elses reality isn't valid... just rubbs me the wrong way...