Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Experiences with Fish

My friend left on vacation with her family this Monday. She was originally going to leave her fish at her parents' house, to be cared for with the cat. Then she realized that the cat may not enjoy sharing its space with fish. And that, since it's a cat, it may take measures to eliminate them.

That is how I came to be a designated fish-sitter. Also, I have a very difficult time when it comes to telling people no. That may have factored in as well.

But I'm proud to say that since she left her fish here on Sunday night, they haven't died!!

For me, this is nigh unto a miracle. Ever since I've lived on my own, I've kind of been a fish killer. Not an intentional fish killer, mind you, but I've never had the best of luck in keeping little fishes alive. So naturally, when I said yes, I immediately started praying that her fish won't die.

Yesterday, I passed their bowl, and they were both very still. I thought for sure I had killed them. But then they moved. And I breathed an immense sigh of relief. No dead fish here.

Although if you want proof about how knowledgeable one of my roommates and I are about fish: well, we thought that some of the big one's entrails might be spilling out when we saw a string hang from it. My other roommate got a kick out of that. Apparently, it was just pooping.

Speaking of which, I should go feed them. So they don't die. So that next week, I can triumphantly declare that I managed to not kill the fish.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

LOL. Oh wow... Good luck with that. Yeah, there's more to fish then you think at first...
I mean... all they do is swim around, right?

Good luck!