Thursday, November 29, 2007

Piano lessons

I've discovered the secret--why my parents actually paid for years of piano lessons for their five children. Sure, my older brother wanted to learn to play the piano, and they figured they should help him develop his talents. But I think my parents had another idea in mind when they let us all take piano lessons. They were providing themselves with entertainers they could recruit in a snap when the time came.

Piano players are needed in a variety of situations: to accompany people who sing (choirs or individuals), background music at weddings, entertainment at a boring family gathering, as helpers at Relief Society dinners.

Yes, indeed. That's where I will be tonight--playing the piano at my mother's RS Christmas dinner. Not asked so much as told, but not such a bad daughter that I would say no.

Especially after she mentioned she'd pay me in food . . .

No comments: