Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Can they really not be wrong?

My trains of thought always take lesser-known paths. For instance, I've started thinking about the title of Bon Jovi's collection-of-music package (what, last year? The year before? I'm too lazy to look it up... okay, I reformed. It was released in 2004.)

The musings are odd, but my arrival on the topic is also odd. I was watching Gilmore Girls, Season 7, Episode 6, and in the course of the episode, Lorelai and Christopher visit Yale for Parents' Day. There are a cappella groups everywhere, since Yale is famous for that (can we say Whiffenpoof? I can't say it three times fast, but that's neither here nor there) and at the end of the episode, Lorelai and Chris walk past an a cappella group singing Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer."

Wrong, right? So, so so so wrong to have a six (or is it seven?) person a cappella group singing a Bon Jovi song. Choral-style. *shudder* This train of thought, including the words "Bon Jovi" and "wrong" led me to think about the aforementioned title: 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong.

The implication, of course, is that Bon Jovi must rock because they've sold 100,000,000 copies of their albums. (And let's be honest, I won't argue that at all, especially since I had to pop in a Bon Jovi album of my own to listen to the good version of "Livin' on a Prayer" instead of the oh-so-wrong a capella rendition.)

But the more I think about it, the more this irks. For one, I highly doubt 100,000,000 discrete people bought their CDs. Take, for example, Exhibit A. My friend, whom we shall call BJ-Luva, has bought of all their albums twice. Because she ruined them all by over-listening and then re-bought.

Second of all, it presumes all 100,000,000 people who bought CDs are fans and cannot be wrong about Bon Jovi. It's indisputable fact I'd recommend Bon Jovi, but not everyone in the world can be a Bon Jovi fan. Otherwise, other musical genres would not exist. Besides, I can think of a handful of recommendations I followed and deeply regretted later. (*cough* the Jesse McCartney CD *cough* and yes, I'm ashamed I even listened . . . not to mention a couple of other close scrapes with Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, and . . . I'm stopping there)

Finally, my brain is pondering all of the things 100,000,000 people could be wrong about, outside the world of rock 'n' roll--that mushrooms taste good? that 'magnanimous' is synonymous with 'fabulous'? that reading could not possibly be fun? that George W. Bush is one of the best presidents we've had?

It's mind-blowing!

1 comment:

Thirdmango said...

It truely is mind blowing.