Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Suspicion Confirmed

The town I live in is not terribly big. It's not terribly small, either. But in recent years, the powers-that-be in my neighborhood have seen fit to write a neighborhood newsletter in the hopes of fostering good relationships between everyone within a two-block radius of my family. Anyway, this newsletter "introduces" us to each other (today's issue is laughable--one of the two families in question lives directly across the street from me, and the husband assisted me last summer when an unfortunate flooding incident occurred in the back yard; the other family has lived one street east of mine for thirty years and there isn't a soul in a five-mile radius who doesn't know them).

Anyway, this newsletter also publishes any good news that any person in the neighborhood might have. I'm in this issue! This is where the confirmation of suspicion comes in. I attended BYU for a year. I did not graduate from BYU. For three and a half years, I attended Weber State University. WSU is my alma mater. But I have long suspected that, in this my hometown, any attendance at BYU means that the attendee graduated from BYU as well. Does this make sense? Dumb question. I know it makes no sense. But it's right there in the newsletter: "Congrats to confuzzled, who recently graduated from BYU with her bachelor's degree in English and her minor in Communications."

My real question is this: how long has the newsletter writer been retired? And how often does he get out of his house? For all three and a half years, I walked down to the corner of Casa Loma and Main and hitched a bus north to Ogden (note, dear newsletter editor, Provo is south) at 7 or so in the morning. And, at approximately 6:00 every evening (such is the life of an on-campus worker), I disembarked from the bus and walked back home. Newsletter writer/editor seems unaware of this, though I walked directly past his house. And corrected his wife every time I visited the home ward, saying, "No. I'm at Weber State." Such, I suppose, are the perils of attending the singles ward and having a life outside the immediate neighborhood.

P.S. Odds would seem to dictate that the more places I apply, the more likely a response from someone would be. Is my math wrong here?

No comments: