Tuesday, January 23, 2007

My Math Skills Aren't So Bad After All

I actually had an interview today! Sort of. It was with a recruiting firm, so perhaps it was more of a prelude to an interview with the company. But it's progress! This week I am hoping to have at least one interview for the rest of the week. I didn't have an interview yesterday, so it won't be as great as if I could have five (or more) neatly lined up interviews for every day of the week, but still. All I'm lacking is an interview for Friday.

I ventured south, to West Valley, for the interview today. I will travel north, to Layton, for my interview tomorrow. On Thursday, I will step out to Woods Cross (a whole ten minutes or so away). So Friday's interview should be in Ogden, I suppose, to maintain a parallel-ish sort of pattern to the interviews. (Ogden being equally as far as West Valley, and Woods Cross and Layton being roughly the same distance from Centerville as each other). Unfortunately, I don't think I applied for anything in Ogden.

The only down side to all of this interviewing is the wardrobe issue. It's not an issue, really. I have things to wear to interviews. And I looked very presentable this morning. (And apparently I didn't need to dress up as much as I did. I must admit this irks me slightly.) Anyhow, interviewing means wearing skirts. Granted, it's a plain black skirt that falls just below mid-calf and it's not terribly restrictive. But it's a skirt. And I am not overly fond of skirts. Many are times I've wished I could get away with wearing dress pants to church . . .

But now I am beginning to be convinced I should have obtained a degree in technical writing after all, since those are far and away the positions I am most qualified for without the degree. How much easier would this whole process be with the degree? Of course, I only think that periodically. And when I'm not remembering how much I enjoyed getting my creative writing degree. Because when I remember how much I enjoyed the creative writing degree, I mentally thank heaven that I did not spend four and a half years working toward a degree that made me want to shoot myself in the foot. And that alone is worth waiting on some job interviews for positions both related and unrelated to my major. Because, if all else fails, I will still have time at night to write.

2 comments:

kassie said...

Good luck with the interviews. I'm with you on the skirt thing. I'm not a fan of skirts, either. Why can't we wear dress pants to church?

Soooo... I'm a tech writing minor. Is there hope for me when I graduate to finding a job? How do the jobs look? I guess I could start looking around now, but graduation seems so far away. You know how that feels, don't you.

If you're in the Ogden area, give me a call. We'll go to lunch or something. That would be fun.

Katie said...

There is hope for you when you graduate. Especially if you're minoring in it, because you'll have samples you can show employers that you'll be required to do for class. If that makes sense.

The jobs look fine. The beautiful thing about getting an English major is that you possess communication skills. And communication, both verbal and written, is important in any job that's out there.