Sunday, January 4, 2009

Make 'Em Laugh

I have been called many things in my day. Been accused of being many things. But, to my delight, I have never been told I'm the somber sort of person who takes life too seriously. Do you remember Sam, from Charly, who says that he "laughs responsibly"?

Yeah, that's not me. I laugh as much as possible, unless it's a highly inappropriate time to laugh. Life may be a test, but it's not like the ACT or the GRE: we aren't meant to sit through it quietly while never looking at our neighbors and paying strict attention to what we are doing and only what we are doing.

Part of the test is to enrich each other's lives in whatever ways we can. Sometimes that means being the somber child, but I find it more often means being of good cheer.

So here is my teaser for 2009 goals: I'll give you one in this entry, and the rest later.

One of my goals (achieved every day of this year, so far) is to make at least two different people laugh in the course of any given day. It doesn't have to be a belly laugh. Although, if I do something patently silly like singing along with "Defying Gravity" while dancing around with a broom (for the benefit of my roommate, of course) . . . well, I'd be disappointed if that only brought a measly giggle.

(It didn't, by the way. Tammy found it hysterically funny. So did Sarah, our visiting friend. Incidentally, it's incredibly difficult to seriously sing along and perform a broom dance while two people are practically rolling with laughter . . . because, um, the performer sometimes starts laughing herself.)

So to recap--one of my goals for this glorious 2009 year is, in the words of Cosmo from Singin' in the Rain, to make 'em laugh. Because, you know, everyone wants to laugh.

3 comments:

Schmetterling said...

On New Year's Eve, I was sitting at home with my family when my sister noticed that my dad's socks had huge holes in them, and she mentioned this to him. So my dad sighed, took of the socks, and tossed them into the fire. Not wanting to be left out, my sister did the same (her socks had little holes in them, but she later regretted her rash action because the holes really weren't that bad). The socks went up in spectacular flames and somebody said something about it being a very festive fire.

"Yeah," I said. "It's a new holiday: happy Guy Socks day!"

Nobody in my family got it--not one person who was present even chuckled. All I got was a bunch of blank stares.

"Ya know:" I said, "'Remember remember the [what was is?] fifth of November'?"

No takers.

*sigh*

So good luck to you on this most daring quest of yours.

Oh. And do us all a favor and lighten up, will ya? Gosh, you're so serious all the time!

Jenny said...

^.^ Making people laugh is awesome. It helps you, it helps them... Go laughter!!

Well, Schmet, if it's any consolation, I think that's funny.

Bonnie said...

I would love to see you singing "Defying Gravity" on a broom. Should we have a family talent show? You are very good at making people laugh. I need to be someone who laughs and stays happy no matter what comes.