Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Interesting Sentences

Whenever I read something, and I find myself dwelling on a sentence I find particularly well-crafted or intriguing in its content, I write it down. Because I know that I'm dwelling because an idea is fermenting in my idea. I keep the sentence around and read through it once a day, wondering when my own reaction to the sentence will become concrete and find its form.

Often, the form comes out as poetry. But not always.

Anyway, last week, I read Steve Tomasula's Book of Portraiture for my Narrative Theory class, and a particular sentence caught my attention. (In fact, my reaction after reading it the first time was, "I know there's a poem in there somewhere.")

This sentence fascinates me to no end. You're allowed to love it, hate it, analyze it, or better yet--use it to write a thought/poem/short story of your own. Which you will then preferably leave in my comments. (Or, if it's really long, post on your own blog and then leave a link in my comments.)

Here it is:

Quixote can be a Knight-errant, Dulcinea his Lady if others are taken up and join in the story, for God, who alone can judge Good and Evil, lets his sun shine upon sinners as well as saints while we, His ignorant, earth-bound creatures, are left to arrange our chairs.

No comments: