Monday, December 15, 2008

Feeling the Christmas Now

The last few months of this year have been, by far, the most hectic time I've had in several years. New challenges, new places, new friends. I've been grateful for all of it. But now, being back in school, I had forgotten how things tend to culminate in December: how tension builds up during the last couple of weeks of classes, how the stress-induced migraines appear in all of their glory, how I have this permanent knot in my stomach from a fear of failing. In short, it's harder for me to get into the spirit of Christmas when I'm in school. I get too worried about page limits and topics and what, I fear, may be my own sheer inanity.

My usual exit is Christmas music. (And if you can't figure out my Christmas CD of choice from the last post, well . . . I hate to break it to you . . . but you're a little dense.) And I've been listening to the good stuff (I say "good stuff" because I'm sure that all of you, as well-informed and intelligent human beings, have noticed that the Christmas music that gets a lot of radio play is hardly what I would call "good stuff." With the exception of Josh Groban's "Believe" from The Polar Express soundtrack, which gets a decent amount of radio play and fits my criteria for good) since the beginning of December. But I found myself just not feeling it.

Perhaps because I was listening to it while reading, writing my assignments, falling asleep, and generally not having time to pay any attention whatsoever to what it said.

But between, December 7 and yesterday, I did three things that have left me in a decidedly Christmas-y mood:

1. I watched the First Presidency Devotional, which always gets me in the mood for the season. Plus I now have ideas for how to conduct my own nativity scenes someday: I quite enjoyed President Eyring recounting how, as their family grew, they had a scene that involved Samuel the Lamanite and they let the other kids attempt to "stone" him . . . But the messages, on the whole, reminded me why I love this time of year: although many people don't share my beliefs, it's a time when people are generally kinder. Softer. More good-willed. And all of the messages helped me to feel more of that good will.

(Related side: My roommate and I were talking about Christmas on the way home from Activity #2 and about how, while we are happy about the general goodwill people feel at this time of year, we find it sad that they never give proper credit to the Source of that feeling. Instead, they treat it as something that is "magical." Not that I think magic is non-existent or inherently bad; I just believe what they label magic comes from a divine source. Making it heavenly rather than magical.)

2. My lovely roommate (yes, she has entered blogdom! and yes, it's partially my fault!) and I went to see A Christmas Carol at Hale Center Theatre Thursday night. It was marvelously well-acted, well-sung, and it's one of my favorite things to see at Christmas time. In any form: Live theatre form. Muppet-style . . . The story is timeless and I always finish it feeling like a lighter, better person. And wanting to be even better than I am.

3. Yesterday, my parents, my little brother, and me got to see the Sunday version of the MoTab Christmas. Alas, on a Sunday, you don't get the whole program: you get Music and the Spoken Word plus a mini-concert. And this year was amazing. Brian Stokes Mitchell, in true Broadway fashion, did a little bit of acting while he sang. Not so much acting as to be campy, but it was a refreshing change from watching other singers who have been there in the past--the kind of singers who just stand still. He gave me something to watch as well as something to listen to. And I tell you right now: I'll get the CD of this particular performance for my listening pleasure next Christmas, if only to hear a couple of the fabulous arrangements (particularly of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" and the "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen" processional . . . not to mention Mr. Mitchell sang a great English carol called "The Friendly Beasts" and sang each verse in the voice of the animal it was about . . . seriously, you can't tell me it doesn't take talent to imitate a donkey, a sheep, a cow, and a dove on key).

By the end of the performance, I must admit I got a little bit tired of all of the popping up and down. I mean--come on, people--we know they're MoTab and they're good, but that does that mean we have to give them a standing ovation after every number?!

After a week like that, I find myself humming carols incessantly and dancing around and plotting little Christmas surprises for those who may or may not expect to have them. I am now, thankfully, in the holiday spirit.

So if you're feeling more like a Scrooge or a Grinch, watch you some Christmas Carol. Pop in a MoTab CD. Read past Christmas messages . . . And if you are still grouchy, then I'm sorry, friend. Something is seriously (and possibly--though probably not) irreparably wrong with you.

6 comments:

tammyfaye22 said...

My very dear Confuzzeled, I'm glad that you're feeling the Christmas spirit more after the three activities you talked about. I have also had a difficult time feeling it this year and I don't know if it's just because things have felt so rushed or what, but I'm glad you've found it!

Schmetterling said...

Wait, you have a favorite Christmas album?

Katie said...

Tammy Faye, we're going to need to work on your spelling of my 'nym. I know it's slightly trickier than my real name, but still ;)

Schmet--I'd fire you, but I have a feeling you know exactly what I'm talking about and you're being snarky. (Now there's a shocker . . .)

Schmetterling said...

Me? Snarky?

And I thought you knew me, ConfuzzEled....

[word verification: grators]

Katie said...

Most definitely. When you get non-snarkastic, I'll start fearing you're losing higher brain functioning . . .

Jenny said...

Heh... Yeah, my Christmas spirit has been a tad lacking this year... Although that's because I'm dealing with Christmas rush with my job. ^.^;;