Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Leaving So Soon

So you get two blog posts in the same day. I know you have no idea what you did to deserve such treatment. (Also, points to the first person who knows what band I kidnapped my title from.)

Well, you didn't do anything. But the people at my office have.

Here's the deal: I'm leaving my current job on Friday. It is a job that is no longer helping me to grow. It has lost all of its challenge. It is something I have come to dread. That said, you can obviously tell that I won't miss being here. While it will be odd (and nice!) to wake up Monday morning at whatever time I darn well feel like it, it will be an adjustment. But adjustment problems for me are rare.

People have started to come by my office. Ironically enough, the news I'm leaving has taken longer to spread than I realize. Just today, two people came to my office to speak to me and wish me luck. (Funny, really, how people tend to treat your leaving as dying. I'm serious. Lots of people basically wish you to have a nice life.)

Since the leaving isn't hard for me, it didn't occur to me that my leaving would be hard for--or hard on--anyone else. At least, it didn't occur to me until our sales rep got a little misty-eyed at lunch. How my boss has started quickly steering the conversation away from anything Friday-related, and how my co-worker sometimes gets this sad look when she's in the middle of having a funny conversation with me.

They are beginning to realize I won't be back on Monday. And that, because I am the person I am, it's highly unlikely I will be back for any reason. Ever.

I have been the one on the other side of the leaving, and I must be honest: in a work situation, no leaving (whether it was resignation, firing, or layoff) has ever hurt me. Life rolls on. Work still needs to be done. And that's that.

Perhaps this attitude seems callous to some of you. And perhaps it is. But for what it's worth, I'm trying to be more respectful of the missing that my leaving will cause. Because as this week moves on, I realize that a lot of people think I made this a better place to be. I have my doubts about that, but they think it nonetheless.

So I will try to rein in my own attitude about my leaving in order to respect theirs.

If only because it's unnerving to realize that many people care . . .

3 comments:

Schmetterling said...

I find it's generally easier for me to leave than to be left, but, when it comes to coworkers and jobs, neither one has ever really affected me very dramatically.

Anonymous said...

Ok, So it is Keane, I figured it was one of the Bands that you proudly claim as a coolness factor because you know about them! (Which, have no worries, I totally do the same thing trying to appear as a musical snob, eventhough so much of my life is trying to convince people that No, I really am not a musical snob, and sure that performance was great!) And seeing as I am your musical friend, I figured it my duty. ALthough, I have to admit I did google it.

Anonymous said...

oh, I didn't sign it, yes, its me CJ