Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Detour from Book Posts

As much as I love books, I cannot allow myself to post about them for hours on end. Or the posting will never stop. Any thoughts I have about books--whether they are general and encompass the entirety of book-dom or whether they are about specific books--tend to increase exponentially. In fact, I think it is entirely possible that my thoughts about books multiply and replenish more quickly than any bunny could.

So I've decided to detour in favor of something else. As a friend once put it, blogs are curious creatures because they tend to make readers feel a personal connection with the writer. Provided the writer is good, more or less, at communicating the perfect balance of information about himself or herself and information that has the appearance of being highly personal without actually being terribly personal. In short, a good blog writer makes readers feel they are on familiar terms. But a good blog writer would still have plenty to reveal if he or she ever met readers in person. It's an interesting balance.

Especially because sometimes I wonder: exactly how much can my writing tell you about me? It certainly doesn't do anything to inform you of my height, weight, eye color, or any physical characteristics. Unless I tell you so. (5'8", you wish!, hazel, glasses, blind right eye) It doesn't tell you anything about my family. Unless I tell you so. (Two brothers, two sisters, two brothers-in-law, one sister-in-law) It doesn't tell you how often I talk to my mother. (At least three times a week. Probably more. And 95% of the time, these calls start with, "Hi Mom. So I have a random question for you . . .")

But even given the parentheticals in the last paragraph, how well can you actually say that you know me? So in the spirit of giving you information about myself, here's a bulleted list:
  • I own 300+ books. I haven't read 55 of them. (I counted the other day)
  • My sister used to call me Potato. It was a derivative of the much longer "Katie Patatie the Big Fat Lady."
  • Incidentally, I've never really been fat.
  • But I am the fattest one in my family. It's all relative. The rest of them look like sticks.
  • I am extremely loyal. And if someone hurts a person I'm close to, I have strong urges to hurt them in return.
  • I usually don't follow through with hurting people. Too many logistical problems.
  • If you ever want to hear me discourse for hours, ask me about my favorite book. I will proceed to tell you why it would probably be easier for me to pick a favorite star in the sky. And then I will start breaking literature into genres and telling you what my favorite book in each genre was.
  • I have yet to see anyone who looks good wearing bright orange.
  • I refer to mushrooms as "fungus." They're gross. And the word "mushroom" is not disgusting enough to describe them. But the word "fungus" works well. Especially when used with just the right amount of disdain and a nose wrinkle.
  • Text language usually drives me crazy. But I make allowances for people I like that don't drive me crazy in person.
  • In my short life span, there have been several people who liked to call me Kate. My name is not Kate. It has never been Kate. And it never will be Kate. But if it's a cute enough guy calling me Kate, I'll let him get away with it.
  • My mom and I get wickedly competitive at Scrabble. And whenever I run across good 7-letter words, I make a mental note.
  • Crossword puzzles are cool. I hate sudoku, because it involves numbers.
  • I will attend just about any event as long as a goodly number of my friends are there. Even the opera. Even a baseball game.
  • But I'll leave said event early if people get upset because I'm mocking it.
  • I make a killer fungus-less stroganoff. Ask my roommates. If you know them.
  • It amazed my family to learn that I have some cooking ability.
  • I'm addicted to tortillas. And bread. The best bread in the world is my mom's homemade cinnamon raisin bread.
  • My younger brother agreed to take an Institute class with me this fall.
  • I haven't been on a date since the first week of January. In 2007.
  • It doesn't bother me that it's been that long since I went on a date. But it bugs my mom quite a lot.
  • Broccoli is the best vegetable ever. In my opinion.
  • Tomatoes are fruit. Period. I don't care who says they're a vegetable. They're a fruit.
  • Actually, I lied. Fresh peas are tied with broccoli as the best vegetable ever.
  • By typing about bread, broccoli, tomatoes, and peas, I've managed to make myself hungry. And I won't be eating lunch for another hour and a half.
  • I think people who casually throw phrases from other languages into their conversations are pretentious.
  • I often wish I understood said casually throw-in phrases.
  • I'm not a big fan of terribly political poetry.
  • When I'm cleaning, I like to dance and sing and clean all at the same time. I'm a good multi-tasker that way.
  • My roommate introduced me to The Office and now I'm a little addicted. (As in, I get a little sad if I find she's watched it without me.)
  • I introduced my roommate to Robin Hood and now she's a little addicted.
  • When I watch Jeopardy!, I yell the answers at the TV. And I yell at the contestants if they don't know an answer I find obvious.
  • No, I do not think they can hear me.
  • When it rains and I have an umbrella, I like to twirl it and hum "Singin' in the Rain." Sometimes I even like to dance around with it for a little while.
  • And no, I don't care if people driving past find that odd.
  • And yes, if you ever see me, you're welcome to join in!

11 comments:

Schmetterling said...

Knowledge is understanding that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is understanding that a tomato doesn't go in the fruit salad.

--Unknown

Katie said...

Are you implying that I'm knowledgeable but not wise? Or that you don't know? ;)

Schmetterling said...

No, mostly I'm just curious as to why you're so adamant about a technicality. Do you make tomato pies? Do you dip tomatoes in chocolate or put them on ice cream or in Jell-o? Do you drink your favorite beverage with a slice of tomato on the glass?

Yes, tomato is technically a fruit, but it behaves more like a fruit--at least as far as culinary arts are concerned.

Katie said...

Because I like technicalities. And that's always been a much debated technicality in my family.

Xan said...

I'm thinking of playing in Salt Lake on Monday...as I have the day off...so....maybe we should meet up! We could totally do the whole You're Got Mail thing...I'll have a copy of Pride and Prejudice and you bring the rose! Or the other way around...lol...

Katie said...

I'm still employed until June 20, so if you make it Monday night . . . I'm always glad of an excuse not to go to Home Evening. (But shh! don't tell my roommates)

Katya said...

I think people who casually throw phrases from other languages into their conversations are pretentious.

No, sometimes we genuinely forget what's au courant in English . . . ;)

Katie said...

Hey, I understood that!

Thanks for the wish fulfillment, Katya :)

Th. said...

.

I was served a tomato milkshake on my mission.

When no one was looking, I dumped it out their tenth-story window.

Th. said...

.

Incidentally, all fruits are vegetables. How silly to argue otherwise.

Although, yes, tomatoes are fruit.

Annie said...

I'm so glad that someone, other than myself, dances and twirls in the rain while humming (or singing at the top of my lungs) "Singing in the Rain"! I always knew we were awesome! Then again, we are co-founders of Club Fabulous. :)