Friday, April 25, 2008

Delusions of Pretentiousness

I am of the firm opinion that I'm not a pretentious person.  In fact, if I were to make a list of all the adjectives that have described me--or even of all adjectives that could describe me at any given point in time, including the past, present, and future--pretentious might make the bottom three.  Perhaps.  But only because it's possible I may have reason to become pretentious in the future.  But then, I may have reason to become any number of other things in the future as well.
 
People who only come to know me in limited doses make this assumption.  Take, for example, the co-worker who caught me reading a poetry collection in my first couple of weeks here.  She walked into my office to drop off paperwork during my lunch hour and found me curled up contentedly in a corner, reading Billy Collins' The Trouble with Poetry.  And automatically decided it was the sort of thing I did to show how smart I was.
 
Not true.  I lunch with my door closed.  And I've read any number of books behind my closed door.  Some of them are plane reading--for example, I don't expect to be anything but entertained by the books in The Dresden Files--and some of them are classics I've wanted to read for a while.  (Anna Karenina is one of the most beautiful and most depressing things I've read.)
 
Some people are amused.  Once they know me, they find it funny that I can--in depth--analyze the most recent episode of America Idol, the lyrics of any song of their choice, and any given work of literature that I've recently read.  And sometimes not-so-recently read.  That I can sing along to Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, and a number of other Broadway shows, but that I give equal time to a variety of contemporary country artists.  Not to mention I can still belt out all of the Sesame Street songs of my childhood, along with the entire soundtracks of all of the classic animated Disney movies.
 
In fact, for every appearance of bordering-on-snobbery, people who know me for long enough will find its surprising equivalent in kitsch or pop culture that had its heyday.  (Yes, there is a Jesse McCartney CD in my collection.  No, I haven't touched it in years.  Yes, I am, as a matter of fact, somewhat ashamed it's still there.  I am, however, completely unashamed about my Clay Aiken CD.)
 
In spite of all that, here are three things I've always wanted to do that have struck me as decidedly pretentious:
 
1.  Write a poem while sitting outside a coffee shop with what appears to be a cup of coffee.  (I say "appears to be," of course, because I don't drink coffee.  But nobody walking by would know it wasn't coffee.)
 
2.  Go on Jeopardy! and say something ridiculously intelligent in response to one of Alex Trebek's random comments.  (Do they script those, by the way?)
 
3.  Conduct a discussion about existentialism with a friend while wearing a neck scarf and a beret.
 
Make it four.  I've always wanted to acquire a famous friend that I could offhandedly bring up in casual conversation as an expert on a certain area of expertise as my trump card.  "Well, you know [insert famous name here] agrees with me, because we've discussed this often."
 
But I know that these delusions of pretentiousness are just that: delusions.  I'm far more likely to entertain myself by randomly remembering I promised my roommate from freshman year that I would write a critical analysis of Jewel's song "Am I Standing Still?" and then I never did.  And then inwardly debating if she would still be entertained by whatever I sent to her if I decided that, five years later, I still owe her that analysis . . .

5 comments:

eleka nahmen said...

I write poetry outside of coffeeshops, drinking what appears to be - and is! - coffee all the time, lol. It's so fun.

Ok, you're in Salt Lake, which means you need to check out:

Nobrow Coffee and Tea - on Broadway and about 4th, it's a favourite hipster hangout. They always have amazing artwork on the walls and have a super modern, warehouse look. Also have a lot of talented local music artists who perform there in the evenings.

Avenues Bakery - not technically a coffeeshop, but it's so damn charming that you won't be lacking for any ambience at all if you're out on their veranda, nibbling on eaties and indulging in your creative side.

Nostalgia - upscale, very chill coffeeshop on South Temple. Tends to attract very cute guys and university students who need a change of background for their Chomsky studying.

Cocoa Cafe - wee little coffeeshop in Sugarhouse where I have spent countless hours sipping cafe au laits and using their free wifi. It's a way cute place that's too easy to overlook. Attracts the Sugarhouse crowd, but even the straight vegan boys seem to be the bathing sort.

Marmalade Cafe - likely too edgy for your taste, but if you're feeling adventurous, this one is the coffeeshop in the Utah Pride Center. It's warm and cozy and just plain awesome. All of my board meetings while I was in Utah were at Marmalade. They also have a wicked sweet menu of very unique offerings for a totally reasonable price.

Beans and Brews - a chain, but a local chain. If you drank coffee, I would instruct you to go get the iced tan mocha As Soon As Possible. As you do not, however, I will tell you that Beans makes the most *delicious* Italian Cream Sodas - and they are super cheap, too. The downtown Beans is pretty ghetto, but most of them are newer and really nice, in a plastic, characterless sort of way. (Trust me on the Sodas though. Divine.)

Coffee Garden, Sugarhouse location - the most gay of all the coffeeshops in Salt Lake, meaning, go to Coffee Garden if you want to look at beautiful beautiful people whom you will never get to have. Great outdoor offerings too, for double the people watching.

Salt Lake Roasting Co. - I'm pretty ambivalent about this one, actually. It's not *amazing* in any sense of the word, but it has a nice hangout atmosphere, if that's what you want for the night.

Coffee Break - Not for deviance infants. Coffee Break is hardly upscale, but has a certain ambience of its own - it tends to attract the flotsam of society, so when me and my people needed to find some targets for our acerbicism (or just needed a place to hang out), we'd invariably head over there. It's super chill, and I've struck up many an acquaintance with people who don't mind just chatting with another cool person. It attracts gays, potheads, and vegans. Often those who are all three.

Yeah, Salt Lake is surprisingly coffeeshop laden. Just as Boston is surprisingly coffeeshop devoid. Whoda guessed? And, maybe this list can help fulfill even just *one* delusion of pretension ;)

Katie said...

Thanks :) I can't even begin to tell you how happy your comment made me. So many choices . . . I may have to be delusionally pretentious indeed!

Major Bubbles said...

I would love to hear an analysis of 1984 by George Orwell. I've never met you, but the comment about barets and existentialism had me rolling all over in manly-like giggles

Th. said...

.

I can be your expert on, ummmm, whatever. Your choice.

Katie said...

Come now, Major Bubbles. You have to be specific about what type of analysis you want--broad, specific. And I already have two written analyses of 1984 lurking around my apartment. One of them, as I recall, discusses the symbolism of the paperweight whereas the other discusses the three political 'mantras' in 1984. And what a book to choose! Seriously. Between high school and college, I was required to "read" (I say "read" because I actually read it for AP English, and then I skimmed for highlights during college) 1984 four times. And two of those times weren't even for English classes. Go figure...

And th., I'm going to take you up on that. As soon as I figure out what you're my expert on.