Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Work and such

Sometimes I stop and think: if I stopped working, would my world move forward?  The obvious answer is yes.  The world would move forward.  Roll recklessly, perhaps.  It would move forward more quickly than I wanted it to, with its bills and its demands, and the moving forward would involve me starting to work again.
 
I'm afraid I'm beginning to be a workaholic.  I stay home sick--and still end up putting in five hours of work.  (Granted, it wasn't the full eight, but doesn't it say something that I had work at home with me that I could actually do that?)  When I come into the office, I feel an instant energy drain.
 
To what can a girl attribute something like this?  Looking back to January, I remember a perky girl, all excited to buy dress pants and dress shoes and button-up shirts and "play professional."  That girl was excited about playing dress-up.  The girl sitting here right now, typing, wants to go home and find a book.  Drink some cocoa.  Curl up on the couch and not have to go anywhere for days and days if she doesn't want to.
 
Responsibility is a gift, I guess, but it's also a burden.

2 comments:

Thirdmango said...

You know, I don't work much, but my life still rolls on. Sorta. Though I gotsta say, as someone who is looking for a career gal, it always makes me glad to see workin ladies.

Katie said...

But what about workin ladies who hate their jobs?