Monday, October 29, 2012

On My Struggles with Goal-Setting

A long, long time ago I listened to someone teach a class about goal-setting.  (It could've been Institute; it could've been church; it could've been school.  Honestly, I don't remember where I was.)  I'm rather sure, now that I think about it, that I've sat through more than one goal-setting lesson in my life--but that is neither here nor there.

What struck me on this particular occasion is that the teacher suggested that we need to analyze our goals a little more.  He/she suggested that our initial goals would be so large or broad as to seem grand but not entirely achievable, so we should break that initial goal down into smaller goals to accomplish to reach the broader purpose.

I thought it a brilliant idea.  Still do, really, except that it poses a problem when I can't figure out the big goal. Or the little goal.  Or any goals.

Or when my goal is Be Happy, well, I haven't quite figured out how to break that one down either. 

No comments: