Friday, July 24, 2009

The Book I've Most Recently Read

You may remember that earlier this year, I blamed Schmetterling for making me read a funny book. A funny, funny book. Since it was hilarious, really, I'm not sure "blame" is the correct word. But really, I can't use too nice a verb: Schmet would become insufferable.

Anyway, said funny book has a sequel I recently read. Even funnier than the first. So if you haven't read Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, do me a favor and read it first before you read its sequel, Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones--because, as you'll learn in the sequel (after you've read things in a proper order, of coourse), one of the worst crimes a reader can commit is reading a series out of order.

Well, one of my co-workers at my new job (not quite so new now, as I've been there five weeks or so) asked me what I read when I job shadowed him. And he asked if I'd ever heard of Brandon Sanderson. Which started a quite animated discussion about our attachment to Alcatraz Smedry, my mention that I owned Elantris but had not yet read it... and the next thing I knew, I'd started reading it.

Elantris was slow, but I'd also promised to read Mistborn.

And let me tell you something: I read. I read quite a lot. And generally speaking, I greatly enjoy what I read. But I haven't gotten this immersed in a book since...well...probably Harry Potter. You must understand: I read my guts out during the semester, and I usually find my assigned readings interesting, but I never find myself so immersed in those books that I resent returning to reality.

Pulling myself out of Mistborn and back into reality inevitably made me mad. I hated going to work. I hated doing housework. I hated watching TV. In short, anything that drew me away from reading Mistborn seriously made me angry. I wanted to go back to Luthadel. Back to Vin, Kelsier, Dockson, Sazed, and Elend. Back to an insanely funny band of thieves who voluntarily admit they're crazy. A band of thieves who doesn't like to admit that they are, in fact, a band of revolutionaries who want to drastically change the government.

With both plot and humor in spades--not to mention a few twists I hadn't fully expected (Kelsier, the leader of the band of thieves/revolutionaries, is fond of saying that there's always another secret)--this book kept me riveted. I was almost sorry to end it. But it has two sequels, and the second is currently next to my bed, just begging me to open it.

I think I'll oblige.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Really? Huh... that sounds like an interesting book. I think I may have to pick it up. ^.^
I've actually been trying to think of things to let a friend of mine borrow to... So in that case I have to buy it... Right? :)

Schmetterling said...

"Pulling myself out of Mistborn and back into reality inevitably made me mad. I hated going to work. I hated doing housework. I hated watching TV. In short, anything that drew me away from reading Mistborn seriously made me angry."

And you think this is a good thing? Call me crazy, but somewhere deep inside of me, I have this strange inkling that addiction is bad. Do you need intervention? =)

Cristina said...

Oh, seriously. That is SO how Mistborn is. I love that series. We own all of them (though only the 3rd in hardcover). The man thought those stories out so well in advance that it boggles my mind. I hate to break it to you, dear, but as soon as you read the third one, you'll want to start the whole series over with the information you'll get.

I *love* Mistborn. It will definitely consume your soul. I was mad at the end that I wouldn't get to "see" my "friends" every day anymore. I just had to remind myself that that's why we bought the books after checking them out from the library -- so we can "visit" whenever we like.

Jenny said...

Well, I picked up Mistborn and it's all your fault. ^.~
I'm only 30 pages in and Vin just met Kelsier, but I'm already in love with the world, if not the characters.
A great pick. :D