Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"Spring Has Sprung . . .

. . . the grass is riz, I wonder where the posies is."

My mom used to say that on the first notable day of beautiful spring weather. Or sometimes when she seemed to hope that, by force of magic, the words would help spring in its arrival. She is the type of person who is ready for spring by early February. I'm not much better: by the third week in February, I'm ready to see little green sprouts poking out of the dirt. To retire my heavy winter coats, my scarves, my gloves, my warm winter hats. To walk everywhere I need to go without fearing a deadly slip on black ice.

And today is one of those gorgeous days where I feel spring has, indeed, sprung. I saw green sprouts poking out of the dirt when I walked to the Trax station. (My roommate gave me a Barnes & Noble gift card for my birthday, and it's been burning a hole in my purse for more than a week now. Plus I needed a particular book for something I'm writing. Plus it was a good excuse to get outside and stay there for a while.) My light jacket was a little toasty. It was marvelous!

On days like today, I can't wipe a silly grin off my face. It delights me to look up and see clear skies. It delights me to notice the house under construction is no longer under construction under a tarp. It delights me that a host of other people are out and about, walking around the city without looking as though they are all completely intent on the places they're going.

It's wonderful to see kids running through the Olympic fountain at The Gateway. To pass street food vendors. (Partially because I'll have lived in Salt Lake City for two years this summer, and I never realized you can get street food here!)

The City Library lawn was sprinkled with people lying on blankets who were reading books. Studying, perhaps. Or maybe just soaking in the sunshine. I think I may find a blanket and do the same tomorrow, weather willing.

On days like today, I feel goodwill toward everyone. The gossiping teenage girls on the train entertain me instead of annoy me, I smile at complete strangers, and everyone I pass has no problem smiling and saying "hi" to a total stranger.

What a perfect day.

No comments: