Monday, March 16, 2009

Happy Brrrr-thday to Me

I am now 25. I wasn't the last time I posted. And 25, I must admit, is absolutely no different than 24. Also, sometimes I do not like having an early March birthday.

This is why: last year, on my 24th birthday, the weather was nigh unto perfect--nary a cloud in sight, warm weather . . . really, the perfect early spring day. (Let's be honest: it wasn't so perfect that it was balmy and I didn't need a jacket; but it was a lovely, lovely day.)

This year, you know what I had? Snowflakes. That's right. Snowflakes. This year, it snowed on my birthday. Maybe last year's birthday was my only good-weather birthday for a few years.

The worst part was that the day started off well. When I woke up, it was relatively warm. A bit cloudy, perhaps. But warm. After I ate the best French toast of my life with my older sister, she dropped me off on campus. It was a pleasant walk to class.

When I walked out of class, the temperature had dropped slightly. But not much. On Mondays and Wednesday, I have about an hour and a half to kill between classes, and in that hour and a half, the weather changed. For the worse. I had no scarf. I had no hat. I was, thankfully, wearing a decent coat. And I had no gloves.

It was cold.

My roommate, to my great delight, sent me on an Easter egg hunt in order to find my present. Don't get me wrong, I'm still delighted, and it was a great idea. But it was cold. Very, very cold. Especially since she hid the eggs in various places around the city. And I didn't know I'd be running around town so . . . I had no scarf. No hat. No gloves.

It was cold.

Fun.

But it was cold.

Very fun. So thanks, Tammykins. It would seem that birthdays can be fun despite unwanted snowflakes.


This post is part of the Blue-Beta Blog Coordination, a continuing series of content coordinated by theme or motif with posts from Confuzzled of I Keep Wondering, Gromit of The Dancing Newt, Redoubt of Redoubt Redux, Third Mango of Funkadelic Freestylings of Another Sort, Yarjka of Sour Mayonnaise, and Xanthippe of Let’s Save Our Hallmark Moment. This week's theme: 'Snowflakes'.

2 comments:

Schmetterling said...

Well, ya know, if you just bought a car and helped the rest of us contribute to global warming by throwing some extra hydrocarbons into the stratosphere, maybe you'd have warmer birthdays in the future.

Think about it.

tammyfaye22 said...

I didn't even know you wrote this post until Jamie mentioned something about it to me today. I'm glad that you were delighted with the egg hunt. The idea was good but the execution. . . not quite so much, mostly because of the snow and the time element.

I am sorry your hands were freezing. I must admit that I felt like an utter failure after your birthday because things didn't go as perfectly as I would have liked them to do (hence the reason I didn't enjoy it as much) but it does help me feel better to know you had fun despite the cold.