Saturday, March 29, 2008

Spring Cleaning

Today, I did something I should have done approximately two weeks ago.

Actually, three weeks ago.

Okay, fine.  The last time I cleaned my room was two weeks after I'd moved in with my current roommates, and that was mid-February.  Fortunately, I have a rather spacious room all to myself, so it takes quite a lot for it to look dreadfully messy.  Unfortunately, the deceptively clean look of it despite random clothes and books scattered around it means I just end up disappointed when it still takes three hours to completely clean and dust it.

On afternoons such as this, I can hear my mom speaking to me as though she's right here: "If you'd clean it every week, it wouldn't take this long."  It's a statement I heard quite often growing up, when I was known to go for months at a time without touching a dust rag or a vacuum, and when I also neglected to clear clutter from the floor.  I'll admit, I clean more often now.  But I still tend to let my own areas get incredibly cluttered before I do anything about them.  (So cluttered, in fact, that when I lived with my last roommate, I actually had a dream wherein she went into my room to borrow a movie, tripped on all of my crap, hit her head on the corner of my desk, and died.)

The funny thing is this: I actually enjoy cleaning.  It gives me a sense of delight and control to see my formerly messy room looking nigh unto spotless, with the correct month and dates written on my whiteboard calendar, my on-loan-from-the-library-books neatly stacked in a corner, and my shoes neatly lined up in my closet.  One of my professors once quoted a writer who said it was easy and more restful to write in a clean place.  And I must admit, it does feel nicer to camp out in my room now.  

Anyway, I was thinking while I was cleaning.  When things get too cluttered in my room, I tend to lose patience with myself and others more often.  When it is insanely messy, I really can't say I much like having a room of my own.  But as soon as I clean, I can feel my spirits lightening as layers of actual, physical grime are removed.  (Side note: I should have thought to clean the blinds on my window when I first moved in, because I am pretty sure the girl who inhabited the room before I did was oblivious to the wonders of those magical things known respectively as dust rag, vacuum, and cleaning wipes.)  I can relax more when I let myself be organized.

What I forget, sometimes, is that I can apply this principle to my life: sometimes I just need to strip away the clutter.  I don't need all of the activities, all of the to-do lists, all of the self-appointed tasks I give myself.  While life is about learning, it's not about going and doing all the time.  I'm sure even Nephi had to stop and allow himself to mellow once in a while.

But in this world, it seems I am something of an anomaly if I am not always preoccupied.  Not always busy.  Not always running to get somewhere or to achieve something.  Sometimes I forget I can achieve more by simply cleaning out my life and letting myself recharge than I can by running around like a crazy woman.  So it's good to deep-clean as I did today, because it's good to remember that sometimes, I'm just allowed to be me.

3 comments:

Schmetterling said...

Holy cow! That's a--that's a, uh....

I've had nightmares about strange things before, but that one--it's a real winner!

I like your sentiment. It's sometimes a very hard thing to know how to apply, though. I find I often fail to clean the clutter out of my life--not for lack of desire, but for lack of cleaning savvy.

Katie said...

Congratulations! You've successfully duplicated the reaction of every person I've told about that dream. Well, every person except my former roommate. She laughed.

And I freely own up--I'm a little less than cleaning-savvy about life-cleaning as well. I mean, I know I need to do it, but I tend to get stumped on the HOW . . .

Katie said...

I agree. Life is so much more pleasant when you step back from all of the craziness. :)

And schmetterling, that is one crazy image. Makes me have to blink like crazy.