Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Blending In, or Thoughts on Spies

These thoughts come primarily, I suppose, from following USA's Covert Affairs. Also from watching Alias when it was on NBC. And also from watching Chuck. (About Covert Affairs: I keep hoping that it's going to get better. It keeps disappointing me. And I keep watching anyway, because I think Christopher Gorham is attractive.) I suppose, too, my question is also somewhat influenced by The Pretender as well.

What, me, a spy-fic nerd? What are you getting at?

Anyway, I always wondered why all of the spies are always so pretty. To be clear: I understand the theory, particularly with female spies. They have to seduce their way into information sometimes, and that clearly works better if they are pretty. I would make the assumption that if seduction rates were translated into batting averages, I imagine the prettiest of women would be batting .360 or so.

But how much of espionage is about seduction? And how much is actually blending in? It has occurred to me that most run-of-the-mill sneaky work would probably be best done by people who have those faces. You know the kind I mean. The kind of people who look like dozens of other people.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

I agree ... should be done by people who blend into the crowd, an "everyday" sort of face. Ha - I watch Covert Affairs for the same reason, mostly.

Schmetterling said...

Or maybe the very best spy would wear dark glasses and business attire and speak cryptically into a shoe or lapel--in short, maybe the very best spy would do everything possible to look like the stereotypical movie spy and stick out like a sore thumb because no one would ever believe that such a person was actually a spy.

In that vain, I think www.foxspyoutlet.com is a pretty nifty website.

Katie said...

The website was pretty awesome. But I think your theory is flawed: mostly because I would be thoroughly creeped out and avoid anyone acting that obviously trench-coated and suspicious.

But then again, I'm not always the most trusting soul...

Cristina said...

Well, look at 24. Kiefer Sutherland is 5'9" (average for a guy), average hair color, average features. I like the 'blending in' theory.