Friday, August 7, 2009

In Which Into the Woods Causes Me to Have an Epiphany

So there I sat on Tuesday night, "culturing my friend." That's what I call it, anyway. Because really, everyone should see Into the Woods just once. They'll love it or they won't, in my experience. A good friend from work despises it because it does not end neatly or tidily. I love it for exactly the same reason. And my friend hadn't seen it all, which I considered a travesty worthy of ramification. Therefore: Netflix to the rescue!

As we listened to Cinderella's "On the Steps of the Palace," I said something aloud about how I wished it were true that I could "decide not to decide." Unfortunately, I quickly pointed out, I didn't think that was allowed.

Without going into any specific details, I have found myself in quite a quandary lately. A conundrum, if you will, where I felt that I was being faced with a couple of different choices (between two situations and between two people, and no, you're not getting any more information than that) and where I continually felt as though I were constantly being torn between the two sides of each choice. At various times, all of the choices have seemed right: that, in itself, has made attempting to choose extremely difficult. To say the least.

And then, as I walked home from work yesterday, that phrase popped into my head again as the answer to my current quandary/conundrum: the very instability inherent in the choices themselves clearly demonstrates (to me, anyway) that now is not a good time to decide. Instead, I have a very strong feeling that I should live my life, keep myself busy, and do what I need to do. The choices, one way or another, will sort themselves out to a point where I can make them.

But that can't happen while I obsess about those choices. So I've stopped obsessing about them. I'm throwing myself into other things and keeping myself busy. And so far, I haven't had much time to think about them.

Hopefully, by the time I do, clarity will have entered the equation.

5 comments:

GreenTaiwan said...

I like it. And did I mention how glad I am that we've remained friends over the years? Just thought you should know.

Schmetterling said...

Hey, English master student--you totally misused the word travesty. It was a travesty? A travesty of what? And "worthy of ramification"? That doesn't make sense to my brain.

Are you sure you speak this language?

Katie said...

Oh, look. It's Schmet nitpicking. Insert *yawn* here.

Jenny said...

Interesting. I don't know that I've had any problems that difficult, but I like that advice. Sometimes the ideas just need to simmer in the back of your head while you do other things.

Laura said...

I really like your post. I feel that way most of the time. And Into the Woods is the greatest musical ever made.