Friday, February 16, 2007

Big Furry Hat People

My former Russian lit professor used to joke that Russian novels were so long because the Russians needed to entertain themselves through multiple long winters.

When I read Doctor Zhivago the other day, I had a loose idea for an exchange that I would someday like to stick in a novel.

Lit Lover 1: I am interested in reading more Russian literature.
Lit Lover 2: That's kind of a heavy topic.
LL1: But there are so many good ideas in all of those novels. Don't you agree?
LL2: I suppose. I'm not sure; I've had a difficult time making it through my Russian lit collection.
LL1: Really? What's in it?
LL2: War and Peace.

2 comments:

Petra said...

C'est amusant.

Anonymous said...

Hello Confuzzled (yet I know who you are but I think you know your internet precautions quite well):

Big Furry Hat People: yes, that similar Russian Lit professor would say that, but he would also say that Russian writers need those long novels to show us Americans how to write and maintain their Russian security. Sorry I have a 50s moment here, but that's what I think.